Steven Savage: Share Your Tools!
I’m using a great tool called Wunderlist in order to stay organized — it’s a simple task management tool that lets you sync across computers, tablets, phones, etc. My writing is already far better organized because of it.
I’m sharing with you because it’s useful — but also to make a point.
Are you sharing your favorite tools with fellow writers and creative people?
Of course there’s one obvious reason to do this — you’re a nice person and want to help people. But there are other reasons to share these tools:
- First, if you share, so do other people. If you start telling people all the wonderful tools you use in writing (and general organization) they’ll share their secrets.
- You’ll meet fellow users — who can share tips. Where I work now, Wunderlist seems to be all the rage (separately, ironically). I’ve shared a few tips with people.
- Those fellow users will tell you about flaws in those tools. How many of us have been enchanted by a great piece of software only to discover problems later? Your friends and those who hear of your great discovery may help you avoid heartbreak.
- You’ll find alternate pieces of software to use as people suggest them.
- You’ll find out about complementary pieces of software, stuff that works well with your new love — that you might never have otherwise heard about.
There are so many tools out there for aspiring writers — start sharing them. It’s the right thing to do — and it may be educational to boot.
So, I told you about Wunderlist – what new tools and gizmos are helping you write?